The Khatik are an ethnic tribe found in the Indian subcontinent, mainly modern-day India, Pakistan and Nepal. They are one of the most widespread communities in modern South Asia. Indian Khatik have a population of approximately 2.3 millions and are located mainly in New Delhi, Haryana, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh and Himachal Pradesh.
|Languages||• Hindi • Punjabi • Rajasthani • Tamil • Telugu|
|Country||• India • Nepal • Pakistan|
|Populated states||Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Telangana, Haryana|
|Family names||Sonkar, Suryavanshi, Chak, etc|
|Notable members||Jagannath Pahadia, Udit Raj, Virendra Kumar Khatik, Rajnath Sonkar Shastri|
|Subdivisions||Suryavanshi, Sonkar, Chak, Dhangar, Are Katika, Kalal, Rangiya and Mewafarosh|
|Related groups||Akhil Bhartiya Khatik Samaj|
The Khatik claim a common ancestry from the Rajput tribe. Khatik used to provide meat to the army of Rajput rulers. King only assigns their personal “Rasoiya” (cook) from Khatik tribe. Khatiks used to live within the Rajputs kingdom and when Rajput organise “Yagya” Khatik used to sacrifice goat infront of Hindu devi Kaali.
‘Khatik’ is derived from the Sanskrit (Indic ancient language) word, “Khattik” means “Butcher or hunter ” and Hindi word “Khatt” Means immediate killing.
The Khatiks belong to the same ethnicity as the Rajputs, and inter-marriages take place among them. Like other Hindu communities, they are divided into clans called gotras like Bagoria, Chandel, Panwar, Dayma, Chauhan, Tanwar, Badgurjar, Kirar etc.
Khatiks are actively participate in politics and they are not dependent on single party but they are distributed in various political party as per their belief & interest. Many social institutions have been created for the purpose of political participation by the Khatik caste people, but the Akhil Bharatiya Khatik Samaj is the oldest and largest social organization which puts pressure on the political parties to ensure the participation of Khatik cast in the politics.
Hindu Khatik people are now taking interest to create stronger identity of Khatik community, so they have started many organisations for the upliftment of Khatiks. The notable Khatik organisations are:
- Akhil Bharatiya Khatik Samaj
- All India Khatik Federation
- Rastravadi Khatik Vikas Samiti
- Khatik Union of Nation (KUN)
- Aare Katika Porata Samiti
- Today, most are in animal husbandry, agriculture, service industries, and government agencies.
- There are some politicians, doctors, engineers, sports-persons and movie stars as well
- Khatik community has a higher sex ratio than the Indian national average.
Hindu Khatik caste has divided into these subgroups based on their livelihood, which are following :-
- Suryavanshi– they claim to be son of Surya (Sun) and Raja Khatwang (grandfather of Lord Rama). they proudly drive tanga for livlihood. they are widely spread in Uttar Pradesh & Madhya Pradesh.
- Sonkar – they started keeping pig animal to save their family from mughal army.
- Suryavanshi Aare Katika or Are Katika – they claim to be Aare Brahmin and lived kingdom of Veer Shivaji in Maharashtra.
- Chak (Chik, Chikwa) – they used to sell meat make drum.
- Dhangar – they take care of animals who produce milk.
- Kalal – they also involved in meat profession.
- Rangiya – they used to colour goat and deer skin to sell.
- Mewafarosh – they used to sell fruits and dry-fruits.
Khatik follow Hindu religion historically, but now they are also found in Islam and Jainism for the following reason:-
- Muslim Khatik – Mughal ruler Aurangzeb started conversation Hindu into Islam forcefully, that time large number of Hindu Khatik converted into Islam, now they are identified as Muslim Khatik and broadly found in Maharastra. Presently they are united under leadership of Haji Arfat Shaikh, president of the Maharashta State Muslim Khatik Samaj
- Veerwal Khatik – Khatik in Rajasthan inspired by Jain guru and adopted jainism and terned Veerwal and now identified as Veerwal Khatik.