Type of site
|Available in||Multiple languages|
|Country of origin||India|
|Created by||Sunil Butolia|
|Alexa rank|| Traffic Statistics|
|Users||20 active editors[note 2] and 2,365 registered users|
|Launched||July 10, 2019|
|Creative Commons Attribution / Share-Alike 4.0|
Most text is also dual-licensed under GFDL; media licensing varies
|Written in||LAMP platform|
FAMEPedia (// feym-PEE-dee-ə) is a free content, multilingual online encyclopedia written and maintained by a community of volunteer contributors through a model of open coordinated effort, utilizing a wiki-based editing framework. The project carries no advertisements and is hosted by Miraheze Limited. FAMEPedia is solely owned by FAMEPedia Foundation.
Launch and early growth
The domain famepedia.org was registered on January 9, 2020.
FAMEPedia was using famepedia.co.in before registration of its current official domain name. FAMEPedia gained early contributors from other wikis (including but not limited to the English Wikipedia) Gyaanipedia and web search engine indexing.
Sunil Butolia had a special interest in the internet. He was attracted to Google's Knowledge Panel (also known as Knowledge Graph), he wished to have his own Knowledge panel on search engine giant.
In 2018 finally, he achieved his own knowledge panel and the process taught him many interesting things that are required to trigger knowledge panel like Schema Markup, Knowledge Graph and Structured Data etc.
He learnt that Wikipedia's sister website Wikidata can trigger knowledge panel very fast but the website only allows entity creation about notable person or things so Sunil Butolia started his own websites Wikipedia and Wikidata in the form of FAMEPedia and FAMEData.
- Chapman, Roger (September 6, 2011). "Top 40 Website Programming Languages". rogchap.com. Archived from the original on September 22, 2013. Retrieved September 6, 2011.
- "Sunil Butolia – FAME Publish". May 8, 2020. Retrieved August 6, 2021.
- "Whois famepedia.org". www.whois.com. Retrieved August 6, 2021.
- Registration is required for certain tasks, such as editing protected pages, creating pages, and uploading files.
- To be considered active, a user must make at least one edit or other action in a given month.