Described at: DBpedia
An athlete is an individual who engages in sports or physical activities at a competitive level. Athletes are skilled and dedicated practitioners of a particular sport, and they often undergo rigorous training to achieve and maintain peak physical performance. They participate in various sports disciplines, including:
1. **Team Sports:** Athletes compete as part of a team, such as in soccer, basketball, football, and volleyball.
2. **Individual Sports:** Some athletes excel in individual sports like tennis, golf, swimming, and track and field events.
3. **Olympic Sports:** Athletes participate in sports featured in the Summer and Winter Olympics, showcasing a wide range of athletic abilities.
4. **Extreme Sports:** These athletes engage in high-risk, adrenaline-fueled activities like skateboarding, snowboarding, and motocross.
5. **Endurance Sports:** Athletes in endurance sports, like marathon running, triathlons, and cycling, focus on long-distance competitions.
Athletes often compete at local, national, and international levels, and they may represent their countries in events like the Olympics. They are admired for their dedication, discipline, and physical prowess, and their achievements often inspire others to pursue active and healthy lifestyles.